Common Roots is Hiring a Education and Communications Development Coordinator
One Position: Education and Communications Development Coordinator
Organization: Common Roots Urban Farm
Location: This individual will work from home part of the week as well as spend time at both urban farms
Hours: 30 hours a week, starting as soon as possible until mid November
Wage: This position is paid for through the JCP program. Hourly wage for 30 hours a week works out to above $20/hour. Please note, however, that those hired will not be eligible for EI once the placement is completed.
Common Roots Urban Farm has two locations in the HRM. Common Roots Urban Farm BiHi Park is located in Halifax West, and Common Roots Woodside is located on the Nova Scotia Hospital Grounds in Dartmouth. Both sites are hybrid gardens that focus on community engagement, skills development and education, mental health and wellbeing and growing vegetables and flowers for sale and donation. In 2022 the farms are looking to strengthen the workshop programming at both sites. We are also looking to strengthen our social media presence, increasing educational engaging content focused on both farm sites.
Individuals who identify as Indigenous, African Nova Scotian, Black and/or racialized are encouraged to apply and self identify.
Duties and responsibilities:
1. Coordinate and Support Educational Activities at BiHi and Woodside:
- Schedule, coordinate, promote and host new Workshop Series
- Assist in the development of educational materials
- Participate in the delivery of educational program as needed
2. Community Outreach:
- Work with the Farm Coordinators to coordinate community events and build days on the farm
- Create posters, flyers and campaigns to promote farm activities in local community
- Develop communications plan for the 2021 season at both farms
- Use social media to share daily activities on both farms and promote educational and community events
- Contribute to blog content on website
- Contribute to weekly newsletters and compile monthly newsletter
The ideal candidate for this job will:
- Be passionate about local food and have some gardening experience
- Have strong independent work and time management skills
- Have strong organizational and communication skills, including demonstrated excel/google sheets proficiency
- Have strong writing skills
- Have experience creating posters and outreach materials with Canva
- Be very comfortable reaching out to people via phone and email
- Have experience working with and coordinating diverse groups of people and be comfortable interacting with people in a social environment
- Proficiency in instagram and facebook and effective social media outreach techniques an asset
- Knowledge of wordpress an asses
- Experience in workshop development an asset
- Full drivers license is an asset
- Access to a vehicle is an asset for this position as it is shared between two sites and in the past this position has also helped with food deliveries. However, this is not a requirement.
Deadline for applications: Sunday, April 10
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Education and Communications Development Coordinator’ in the Subject line.
Please note, this position will be funded through the Job Creation Partnership. Applicants are encouraged to apply to the program as soon as possible to allow an earlier start date once hired.
To be eligible, you also must meet ONE of the following:
- Have a current Employment Insurance (EI) claim
- Have had an EI claim that ended within the last 60 months
- Have received benefits under the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
- Have been employed with gross insurable earnings of $2000 or higher annually in at least 5 of the last 10 years.
Other criteria also applies. Please refer to: https://novascotia.ca/employmentnovascotia/programs/job-creation-partnerships.asp
Read more about Common Roots Urban Farms here.