After ten years with Common Roots, our BiHi Project Coordinator is moving on, and we’re looking for someone new to take the lead at our urban farm in Halifax. Please check out the post below and share widely!
Applications are due Wednesday, May 24 at midnight.
Project Coordinator – Common Roots Urban Farm BiHi
Common Roots Urban Farm BiHi Park (CRUF BiHi) is the Halifax branch of Common Roots Urban Farms which is a project of MetroWorks. Common Roots Urban Farm has been working in Halifax for the past 11 years since its first site at Bell and Robie opened in 2012. CRUF uses hybrid gardens that include community allotment plots, market gardens and common gardens to encourage and promote physical, mental and community health.
The farm’s BiHi location sits on a small triangle of land between Bayers Road and the on ramp to the 102 highway in an extremely urban location. It is at the intersection of several communities. This provides both moments of connection and moments of tension. As Coordinator of this site you will be responsible for supporting this complex community and working with farm participants to continue existing programming and to find new, creative ways of engaging and bringing people together while growing fresh vegetables, flowers and perennial plants.
Individuals who identify as Indigenous, African Nova Scotian, Black and/or racialized are encouraged to apply and self identify.
More details about Common Roots programs can be found here:
Common Roots Website: Home Page 2022 – Common Roots Urban Farm
MetroWorks Website: www.mymetroworks.ca
The Project Coordinator oversees day to day operations, coordination, relationship building and vision of BiHi Urban Farm, helping to create a joyful, fun, safe, creative and collaborative culture at the farm.
- Coordination of over 100 community allotment plots, including communication via email, in person and through interpreters for several languages
- Crop planning, planting, cultivation and harvest of small Market Garden
- Maintenance and development of Market Garden sales including market stand/pick your own market, wholesale to restaurants and Stone Hearth Bakery, and donations
- Care for the Commons: gardens, seating areas; signage; the edges of the farm
- Coordinating and supporting seasonal staff and work placements
- Coordination and development of on-farm programming including:
- Coordinating volunteers including Farm Stewards and group visits and our Core Team
- Development and coordination of employability programming
- Coordinating community building events such as on farm celebrations and workshops
- Coordination of community meals
- Supporting, planning, messaging and content for newsletter and social media
- Partnership building
- Contribute to grant writing and reporting
- Budget forecasting
- Record keeping
Required Skills and Experience:
Demonstrated experience working on a farm, community farm, or public garden environments
Three years experience growing food and flowers
Demonstrated leadership experience
Experience coordinating and executing programs
Experience supervising staff and volunteers
Confident, clear communication skills
Self-motivated, organized, willing to ask questions, develop and implement systems.
Ability to think on your feet, make decisions and be flexible
Deeply interested in urban farms; community farms and community food systems; food justice and community development
Willing and able to work outside for many hours in various weather conditions.
Experience working with diverse populations
Competent in GoogleDrive and MS Office
Training in anti-oppression, trauma informed care and equitable practice
Regular access to a vehicle
Experience dealing with complex community needs
Experience in urban agriculture
Experience working with interpreters
This role is full time seasonal (ten months per year), dependent on funding from our government partners. Normal working hours are 37.5 per week.
Some evening and weekend work will be required. We offer a benefits package including vacation and sick leave, health/dental and insurance coverage.
If you are interested in this unique job opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by end of day, May 24, 2023.
$23.00 – $25.00 per hour