Common Roots Urban Farm (CRUF) is seeking an experienced facilitator to guide participants and community members through a conversation about the Urban Farms and how to best meet the needs of the community.
We aim to, not only deepen the engagement of those involved in the Urban Farms, but also explore some of the ways CRUF can become more relevant to communities outside our current circles of engagement. We recognize that racism, colonialism and other forms of oppression create barriers to access and opportunities, including in urban farming. Within this context, CRUF is reflecting on our processes and structure and how to best do our work.
Individuals who identify as Indigenous, African Nova Scotian, Black and/or racialized are encouraged to apply and self identify.
About Common Roots
The Common Roots Urban Farms (CRUF), based in both Halifax and Dartmouth, promote physical, mental and environmental health through hands-on education about growing and eating healthy food.
About the position
The facilitator would guide a community conversation with the intended outcomes of:
- Widening and deepening of engagement at both Urban Farms.
- Achieving clarity about desired food and community garden outcomes for some of the existing and potential members of CRUF’s network
- Achieving greater clarity on the shared vision, purpose and priorities of the farms
Payment for the work is $1600. We estimate this contract to total about three full days of work, spread over three to five weeks.
The work will include:
- Becoming familiar with CRUF and the content from previous meetings and interviews around this process. Discussions have already occurred with plotters at the farms and organizations and individuals with connections to the farms.
- Researching and proposing other groups and individuals to loop in, in collaboration with farm coordinators.
- Facilitating an in person dialogue for up to 50 people (with appropriate COVID-19 protocols)
- Preparing a report about the findings and recommendations from the dialogue.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Extensive experience as a facilitator
- Skills at distilling lessons from a process into report form
- An interest and familiarity with CRUF and urban farming/community agriculture/food security in general
- Experience facilitating diverse groups of people including interpreters in multiple languages
- Experience with an anti-oppression framework
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com by December 8.