Common Roots BiHi is hiring a Community Engagement Coordinator
One Position: Community Outreach Coordinator
Organization: Common Roots Urban Farm BiHi
Hours: 30 hours a week, starting as soon as possible until mid November
Wage: This position is paid for through the JCP program. Hourly wage for 30 hours a week works out to above $20/hour. Please note, however, that those hired will not be eligible for EI once the placement is completed.
Common Roots Urban Farm BiHi park is one of two Common Roots locations in the HRM. It is a hybrid garden located in Halifax West that focuses on education, community engagement, skills development and growing vegetables and flowers for sale and donation. We are looking for someone who is very passionate about local food and food skills to help us as we grow and adapt our onfarm programming. This includes reaching out to nearby community organizations and schools and community groups to engage them in our onfarm events and new market stand and hosting groups who volunteer with us.
Individuals who identify as Indigenous, African Nova Scotian, Black and/or racialized are encouraged to apply and self identify.
Duties and responsibilities:
1. Gardening and farm maintenance:
a .Work with Farm Coordinator to plant, cultivate and harvest in the market garden
b. Work with Farm Coordinator to care for Common Gardens and common farm areas
c. Support harvest and sale or donation of vegetables as required
2. Coordinate and Host Activities:
a. Work with school groups to schedule educational opportunities and farm visits
b. Reach out to local organizations and schedule group visits to the farm
c. Host group visits on the farm
d. Help run the community market including reaching out to the community and assisting customers.
3. Community Outreach:
a. Work with the Farm Coordinator and Education and Communications Coordinator to support community events and build days for farm expansion
b. Support Farm Coordinator in hosting 2-3 community events on the farm
a. Contribute to farm social media
b. Contribute to blog and newsletter as needed.
5. Where applicable, this position will also help with food deliveries.
The ideal candidate for this job will:
- Be passionate about local food and food skills
- Have strong organizational skills, including demonstrated excel/google sheets proficiency
- Be very comfortable reaching out to people via phone and email
- Demonstrated group leadership skills
- Have experience working with and coordinating diverse groups of people
- Work well both independently and in a very social setting
- Full drivers license in an asset but is not required
- Access to vehicle is an asset but is not required
Deadline for applications:
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with ‘Community Outreach Coordinator’ in the Subject line.
Please note, this position will be funded through the Job Creation Partnership. Applicants are encouraged to apply to the program as soon as possible to allow an earlier start date once hired.
To be eligible, you also must meet ONE of the following:
- Have a current Employment Insurance (EI) claim
- Have had an EI claim that ended within the last 60 months
- Have received benefits under the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
- Have been employed with gross insurable earnings of $2000 or higher annually in at least 5 of the last 10 years.
Other criteria also applies. Please refer to: https://novascotia.ca/employmentnovascotia/programs/job-creation-partnerships.aspRead more about Common Roots Urban Farms here.